Saturday, March 22, 2008

My version of Puttanesca


Yesterday, my mom asked me to cook tuna pasta. We chose to go meatless in observance of Good Friday, hence, the tuna dish. It's been a while since I last cooked it ala Puttanesca. Well, I don't even call it Puttanesca sauce, until after someone referred to it as such.

Whenever I cook, I don't have specific measurements in liters, cups, teaspoons, etc. I adjust as I go along, and just toss in a dash of this, and a little more of that. Luckily, it still tastes pretty well every time.

I am no recipe diva, but here's my version of the dish. The 'rough' estimate recipe that you can also try at home (at your own risk :P):

Puttanesca Sauce

1 tall can of tuna chunks/flakes in oil/brine
8-10 pcs. medium sized fresh tomatoes, sliced
2 packs/sachet Tomato/Spaghetti sauce
crushed garlic
2 pcs. big onions, chopped
pitted black olives
Italian seasoning herb
Parmesan cheese
Bay leaf
salt and pepper to taste
Butter/Canola/Olive oil

Saute garlic in butter, add onions, bay leaf, then tomatoes. Add tuna chunks/flakes. If it is in oil, you can add the oil too (for extra omega 3), if you like. If it is in brine, drain it first before adding. Pour in the tomato/spaghetti sauce. Let it simmer for around 5 minutes. Add Parmesan cheese (or regular cheese will do), salt and pepper, according to your taste. Lastly, add Italian seasoning and black olives.

I love to use a lot of herbs, tomatoes, garlic, onions and cheese. I also like my tomatoes chunky. You can always customize the dish according to your preference. If the sauce turns out to be a little sour for you, you can always add banana ketchup to neutralize the taste.

Bon Appetit!