Thursday, April 17, 2008

Do you know “The Secret”?


I was in my favorite place two weeks ago to pick up a gift and some art stuff for the little lady.

I was in the bookstore!

So what's the occasion? Classes have ended, and there was an upcoming culminating activity to be held that time, in recognition of this year’s graduates and other outstanding students in her school. Not even sure of what award/s she will get on that day, I got her a present, as I always do, with or without awards/medals. After a year of hard work, she definitely deserves it.

So there I was, flipping books and pages one after the other, taking my time, as usual, when a particular book caught my eye.

It was Rhonda Byrne’s “The Secret.

I have read something about it before, but just a general review about the book being amazingly life-changing and that everyone must have a copy of it. I thought it was just one of those hyped-up products that the writer sells on Amazon. There wasn’t even a quote from the book, so I was just intrigued, but not enticed.

So back to the book.

I picked it up out of curiosity and surprisingly, I was inspired upon reading the first few pages. The review was right, all along. This is the book I’ve been looking for all my life!

Let me share with you some excerpts that I patiently typed on my mobile phone’s notepad:

“If you see it in your mind, you are going to hold it in your hand” –Bob Proctor

“You become what you think about most, but you also attract what you think about most. Your life right now is a reflection of your past thoughts. That includes all the great things and all the things you consider not so great. Since you attract to you what you think about most, it is easy to see what your dominant thoughts have been on every subject of your life because that is what you have experienced." –John Assaraf

“Your thoughts become things!” –Mike Dooley

“Thoughts are sending out that magnetic signal that is drawing the parallel back to you.” –Dr. Joe Vitale

“The predominant thought or the mental attitude is the magnet, and the law is that like attracts like, consequently, the mental attitude will invariably attract such conditions as correspondent to its nature.” –Charles Haanel

“The law of attraction is really obedient. When you think of the things you want and you focus on them with all of your intention, then the law of attraction will give you exactly what you want every time. When you focus on the things that you don’t want - I don’t want to be late – the law of attraction doesn’t hear that you don’t want it. It manifests the things that you are thinking of, and so it is going to show up over and over again. The law of attraction is not biased to wants or don’t wants. When you focus on something, no matter what it happens to be you are really calling that into existence.” –Lisa Nichols

Positive thinking complements what the book is trying to impart - the law of attraction. The secret to life! Positively focus on your goals and you will achieve them effortlessly! Of course you will also have to work to attain it, but its success greatly depends on the state of mind you have while working on it.


Do you remember a particular situation when you are trying to accomplish something, but you started on the wrong foot? You worked hard on it, nevertheless, and you gave your best. But still, all efforts have gone to waste. It just wouldn’t work out the way you wanted it to be, and you wonder what went wrong.

It is just like having a bad hair day. You wake up in a bad mood upon seeing your ridiculous mane. You wanted to fix it, but the more you brush it, the more it gets tangled. So you shampooed, blow-dried, ironed, put mousse on it, etc. But instead of fixing it, you feel you ended up with the worst hair ever. Why? Because not only that you did everything with a negative temperament, but you focused on what you did not want, and that is what exactly what you got.

So what is the point?

It all boils down to attitude. You can choose to be happy or lonely; to see the glass half-full or empty. You have the power to make things happen and be what you want to be. It is all in your hands.

Focus on what you want, and you will attract it into your life.

Having read a part of the book gave me some kind of self affirmation that I am indeed, trailing the right path.

I chose to lead an optimistic life years ago. One day, I just woke up and realized that there is no use in worrying about things that are beyond my control. So why stress over them and ruin my day thinking about people and situations that I cannot change anyway? It is a waste of time, effort, energy, and it is harmful to one’s health!

That day, I started to absolutely trust God’s will over my own. And whenever I feel I cannot carry my burdens anymore, I just surrender them to Him, for I know it will all be taken cared of.

In the kind of world we live in now, it is hard to stay positive about life. But if we just focus on what we have, we will realize that we are blessed even far beyond what we deserve. On the other hand, when we concentrate on counting what we don’t have, we will never seem to have enough.

I did not finish reading the book, but what I read was already too powerful to motivate me. I really wanted to buy it! But I had to prioritize getting a gift for the little lady (I got her some pocketbooks, by the way).

Oh well, who knows? Someone might get it for me as a gift on my birthday (barely a month away). Again, some more of my positive thinking here! :)

So do you want to know more about “The Secret”? You can visit its official website or watch the movie here for free.

Cheers to a great life ahead!