Thursday, May 15, 2008

The Best Mom in the World

It was too tempting to write my own Mothers Day post last Sunday, but I thought I’d save it for now. After all, everyday is Mothers' Day! Don’t you agree?

Let me start off by saying that when I was young, I was more of a daddy’s girl.

My Dad was a military officer in the Philippine Army. Contrary to the general notion of soldiers being stiff and very strict in every way, I am lucky my dad is a pleasant exception. He might be such to his subordinates, while in uniform, but to his family, he is the kindest dad in the world.

My mom on the other hand, was the family disciplinarian. I remember studying my lessons with her and crying when I don’t get the answers right. I kept making mistakes not because I don’t know my lessons, but due to the fact that 1. I was afraid of her, and 2. I am more focused on praying that my dad comes home that very moment. Why? Dad always saves the day and when he comes home, I’ll be free and everything is great!

I never understood why she had to be strict when I was younger. Whenever she raises her voice and gets angry, I would ask myself if she loved me less.

Only now that I became a mother that I realized that the love and uncertainties of a mother for her children are bigger than life itself; that she will do everything she thinks is best for their welfare by all means, no matter what the cost.

Mom did what she had to do to raise me and my sister well. She wanted to mold us into good and responsible individuals, that even if it meant some sacrifice on her part, she inadvertently had to hurt our feelings along the way to achieve that. She disciplined and instilled values in us the best way she knew how, to shield us from the greater pains of the world.

If only a mother can protect her child from every kind of pain and cruelty in this world, she would. But since that is only possible to a certain extent, the best thing that she could do is to prepare her child to face the world head-on, equip him/her with faith, independence, good values and principles, wisdom and courage to stand up for what he/she believes in. I understand now that mom did all that for us.

Early in life, my parents taught us the importance of integrity and having an untainted name. My dad left the service because he was being pushed to take part and join the rotten system in the military - something that he could not stomach; hence he tendered his early retirement.

Another valuable virtue that we learned from our mom is to be generous; to give until it hurts. She is in fact, the most charitable person I’ve known. For years she has dedicated a big part of her life doing charity work and being active in church.

She just turned 60 years old last January, and yet I still see her as the most beautiful woman in the world. No amount of aging will change how beautiful I perceive her to be.

For me, she will always be the life of the party, the best dancer, the greatest cook, the budget queen of all times, the super party organizer, the most creative in-house designer... But above all that, she is the kindest, most loving mother one could ever have. She is all good things rolled into one!

Dearest Mom, I may not be a perfect daughter, but please know that the love I have for you is immeasurable and perfect beyond words, in the only way I know how, completely and forever.

Thank you for bringing me into this world and bringing out the best in me. I love you very much and I am so proud of you!

Happy Mother's Day!